Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Church Art Contest



So, it's that time again. Time to be thinking of what I'm going to paint for the next church art contest. I can't believe it has been three years already. This painting was my last entry. It didn't make the cut, but I really had a gut feeling that it wouldn't. Mixed media collage is a little too edgy for the church's taste. I knew that, but I wanted to do it anyway. I love looking at a painting and seeing symbolism in layers. I had this idea for a long time, and I just needed to get it out of my system. Admittedly, I felt the sting when I saw who made it in. Many of my friends that I went to BYU with made it in, and rightly so. Their work was excellent. I have felt very guilty about my negligence over the past several years with my art. I have been so busy with raising a family, that I have not made it a priority to paint. If Minerva Teichert can do it, so can I! I just need to start painting again...every day. I find such peace and joy and fulfillment when I do. Just typing about it makes me smile. I think that is one of the reasons I feel so resentful for having to learn the organ. My heart feels like I should be putting any extra time that I have with my art. But, I recognize that this is what the Lord wants me to do now, so I'll do it. I just need to make sure I find the time to paint, too.

I got an invitation the other day from the church, basically reminding me that the deadline is coming up. I just need to pray for the inspiration to know where I want to go with it.

13 comments:

Marissa said...

That is beautifully amazing! You are so talented.
You should paint out something with this new calling, just to help you deal with it all. Not really the one for the contest, but for you. Painting is so therapeutic.

Melinda said...

That's an amazing painting, Joy! What a talent to have!

Good luck trying to figure out what to do next. I'm sure it will be as equally amazing :)

I really like Marissa's suggestion too.

JAMIE said...

That is amazing, Joy! You are so talented!!

The Fam said...

Joy! I saw your comment on our blog! I was so excited to see pictures of you and your family! Could Bethany look more like you? I am thrilled to be able to keep in touch better. :) Harmony

Sharilyn said...

Joy, I am truly amazed by your talent. I had no idea you had an art background. Your painting is beautiful, whether or not it's too "edgy." I can understand it being theraputic. I hope you can find the time you'd like to devote to it.

Sharilyn said...

BTW, I don't think it's edgy...that came out wrong. :)

Melinda said...

Joy, I used the Scrapbook Factory Deluxe program, the same one that MarissaL uses. I've played with it a little here and there. I really need to play with it more so that I'm as talented as she is. :)

Erica said...

Joy, I am so glad that you found me. I am so excited to be able to keep in touch with you now. I can't believe how grown up your kids are and how much Bethany looks like you, what a beauty! And Logan is a doll!! BTW, your picture is amazing.

Craig Smith said...

I was so happy to hear from you when I checked my blog this morning!! We think about you guys often. It's so fun to see the pictures of you guys and Logan is so beautiful!! We need to get up to visit you again. I will be checking back often now to see how you are. Love ya!

Craig Smith said...

By the way - I love your last art piece. What a talent you have! GOod luck with the next one. I can't wait to see it.

Rebecca said...

I love it Joy! I agree with Marissa, go for something about your calling. Maybe a woman playing the organ one handed. Title it something like "I will go and do..."?

kellyclay said...

Joy,

WOW I love that picture you are so talented. I agree with what Marissa said paint something that has do with playing the organ.

Ninny said...

HOly cow- you are talented!!!